My Happy Place

What’s Your Happy Place?


I found mine last night behind the steering wheel of my Mitsubishi Eclipse.

There's something special, almost magical, about driving that car on a summer's evening; being on the road as the sun kisses the horizon, painting delicate strokes of vibrant amber, gold, and crimson across the sky in such a way that only summer can.

As the car glides down the road, the temperature and feeling of the air whooshing past the lowered windows changes. Like the flip of a switch, as soon as the sun slips behind the auburn horizon, the muggy haze of the day transforms into a soothing cool aromatic blend of deep fried foods as restaurant-after-restaurant blurs by. The breeze feels amazing rushing over your sunbaked, radiant skin.

All-the-while, in a slow descent of fading intensity, the fiery hues of the sunset catch the hood bump, making the red paint gleam with reflections that pour like liquid light across the surface, melting onto the black dashboard and filling the cabin with vivid, yellow-soaked light that paints my wife in a breathtaking vibrancy that exceeds even the most masterful strokes of a Renaissance painter's brush. My son, bathed in that same warm light, sits wide-eyed in the back seat, watching the world rush past the quarter windows, clutching his own toy model "Mitsubishi Eclipse," and melting my heart faster than cotton candy in the rain.

Every time I drive this car, it tethers me to the present moment. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I love it so much. But my affinity for the car pales to that for my family, and when the two are brought together, especially during a summer's dusk, well, that is my happy place.


The Author's Eclipse
My Eclipse on 6/24/23



Want More Content?

I reset the trip odometer after a summer of driving fun in my next post: The Annual Trip Odometer Reset (2023)

Read more about how this journey began in my previous post: On the Road to a Dream

Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more great content!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Standard Equipment: 1995-99 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS vs GS​

1997-99 (2GB) Eclipse Front Bumper Cover

420A Motor and Transmission Mounts